Today the summit got down to business. This was the time for beginning to bring the ideas and creative energy from Day 2 into action. A theme of our work was to develop action plans to take the ideas to the realm of action. Numerous working groups were convened on any topic where there was energy, and each group produced action agendas that specified steps to take in 3 hours, 3 days, 3 weeks, and 3 months from the summit. Folks from the summit will be putting together a document to describe the visions and ideas to come from our work.
Here's a list with some of the main themes and topics that were discussed:
- Defining spirituality
- Sustaining the momentum of the Gay Spirit Culture Summit
- Making children an important part of our lives
- The "men loving men" movement
- The erotic as a spiritual path
- Sacred dance ritual and the circuit culture
- HIV positive, HIV negative, and HIV unknown status men sharing their stories
- Leadership development in the GLBTQ community
- Elders and youth working together
- Working with the media to encourage deeper lives and spirituality
- Transforming religions
- The "power of 10" public performance protest
After a full day's work, the men of the summit broke bread together. We also enjoyed entertainers including drag performers, comedy, poetry reading, singers, and even "whirling dervishes."